Progress made in U.S. peace plan for Ukraine

By Barry Hatton and Isobel Koshiw | The Associated Press

Officials on Monday said progress was made in urgent weekend talks on amending the U.S. peace proposal for Ukraine that many saw as favoring Russia, but the Kremlin said it hadn't seen the changes.

Washington's 28-point plan presented last week caused alarm by heavily aligning with Moscow's demands in the nearly four-year war caused by its invasion. The plan pressed Ukraine to hand over some territory to Russia and reduce its army. It also sought Europe's agreement that Ukraine will never be admitted into the NATO military alliance.

An adviser to Ukraine's president who attended the talks in Geneva between U.S. and Ukrainian officials told the AP they managed to discuss almost all the plan's points, and one unresolved issue is that of territory, which can only be decided at the head of state level.

Ukraine and allies have ruled out territorial concessions.

Oleksandr Bevz also said the U.S. showed "great openness and understanding" that security guarantees are the cornerstone of any agreement for Ukraine. He said the U.S. would continue working on the plan, then the leaders of Ukraine and the U.S. will meet. After that, the plan would be presented to Russia.

Bevz would not say what if any compromises Ukraine made in the talks, and added that "everyone arrived stressed."

European officials, who say they were blindsided by the U.S. plan and that their own security is at stake, pressed Washington for changes in the Geneva talks.

0 0
Rubio.jpg

 

+ Click to show meta information.

Please Login to add comments.
Please login to reply or flag this note.
Email to friends using email, gmail, yahoo mail, hotmail, outlook, live mail.